FACILITATE THE DISCUSSION
We have learned a few lessons from previous deals, including:
- A neutral third-party facilitator is essential to the process.
- Third-parties can ask the tough questions
- Third-parties can answer the tough questions
- Third-parties can arbitrate and can keep the deal on track in terms of direction and timelines.
- Third-Parties can manage funders to be flexible and manage the uncertainty of the process.
- Funders can play a key role in facilitating and funding restructuring opportunities for willing partners.
- The involvement of third-parties with a particular expertise and independent goals often results in multiple, fragmented views of the agreement. Our partners may find it difficult to integrate these perspectives.
- Increasing momentum to close the deal can force premature closure and limit consideration of integration issues.
- Both buyer and seller are often unable to resolve important areas of ambiguity before they complete the agreement.